Deshbir Singh Bhullar
Deshbir Singh Bhullar
- L.L.B from Ajmer University, 1992-1996
- B.A. from Punjab University, 1989-1992
- Schooling –St.John’s High School,Chd.
Career Summary and Profile
A vast experience of work, over 24 years in agricultural sector, bio-energy, management, and legal affairs .An organizer and a forward planner with a high degree of professional integrity. Articulate, confident and accomplished, mediates effectively and uses negotiating and persuading skills to achieve consensus through compromise.
- 1996-1998: Worked in a law office with a senior advocate. : Practicing in the Punjab and Haryana High Court at Chandigarh. Work experience in company and corporate laws, civil and land matters, succession issues, criminal law. Some of the important responsibilities are; Handling legal issues, vetting and drafting.
Handled cases of original civil jurisdiction. Matters in which negotiations and settlements are organized in the chambers. Handled confidential work on behalf of select clients. Safe custodian of important documents/valuables. Dealing and settlement with clients on all other related issues.
- 1998-Till date: Working in the Agro sector, and the Bio-energy sector. A varied and vast experience in the Agro field with prime focus on Organic farming, Bio-energy by developing and nurturing SHG’s in backward areas. Commercial operations in the same field by incorporating New Dimension Agro Consulting (NDAC) with Maj. Gen. C.S.Panag (Retd.). Some of the important work focus included the following.
- Development and improvement of land to enable organic farming. Developed expertise in development projects in backward and tribal areas.
- Cultivation and back to back handling of various organic projects, like growing organic vegetables , spices and some important medicinal herbs, in Punjab , Haryana, Himachal Pradesh.
- Appointed as State Director for Punjab in the Indian Medicinal Plants Marketing Federation (IMPMF) an agriculture development body constituted by the Union Ministry of Agriculture.
- Planning, monitoring and logistics of produce.
- Work distribution and monitoring against set time frames.
- Cultivation, of Jatropha curcas(Bio-diesel tree), for the purpose of producing biodiesel as an alternative fuel. (NDAC)
- Jatropha plantations in Haryana , Rajasthan, Punjab and Himachal Pradesh.
- Managing and supervising tree plantation, due applications and all other support during the entire growth lifecycle.(NDAC)
- Managed a staff of substantial labor force. Looking after recruitment, compensation and basic amenities. (NDAC)
- Implemented a biodiesel project in Botswana (Africa).
- Developed and implemented vermicomposting units on several locations for producing vermicompost.(organic fertilizer). (NDAC)
- Handled the production and marketing of vermicompost. (NDAC)
- Set up vermicompost units for clients.(NDAC)
- Set up and handled Bio-gas plants .(NDAC)
- Handled the distribution of the Bio-gas in rural areas for domestic and community utilization.(NDAC)
- Set up production of electricity from Bio-gas in one project. (NDAC)
- Organized the collections from different areas , the collection of biomass for production of biogas.(NDAC)
- 1998-2000: Co-founded (and served on BOD as Director in charge of Agro ops) Amrit Cellulose Ltd.,a company in the business of manufacturing downstream products of Organically produced cotton of specific grade . Designed the plan to produce organic cotton through contract farming in areas isolated from the main cotton producing area in Punjab and Haryana in the desert state of Rajasthan by developing Greenfield farms.
- 2001-2006: Served on the Board of Directors of Herman Milkfoods Ltd. , a Listed Public Company in the business of processing 40,000 litres of milk a day into various products. Handled the procurement and aggregation of milk. Resigned because the company was acquired by a larger food processing group.
- 2006-2008: Concurrently produced organic vegetables at Bharmour in Chamba Dist HP , to supply to exporters for sustained supply chain. Ran the operation on leased land since land purchase in HP is not feasible.
- 2007-2009: Project design and development- Jatropha plantation solution for a Canadian Investor group in Botswana, Africa. This project lasted for 1.5 years. Provided on the ground total project implementation to the clients. This involved conducting a feasibility study, site assessment; land evaluation, Irrigation design & layout, Land clearing ,Jatropha planting,training & management, & supply of elite quality Jatropha planting material.
- 2009 – 2012: co-founded (and served on BOD as Director in charge of Agro ops) Agni Bio-Power Energy Pvt. Ltd with an American technocrat from MIT . Set up an Industrial and Agricultural infrastructure in Punjab to process Agro waste to Energy. Helped take the company to $ 20 Million funding from three top tier Venture Capital funds.
- NEA (New Enterprise Associates)(US private equity fund)
- Capricorn Investment Group (US private equity fund)
- Omidyar Network. (US private equity fund and Venture capital fund). Resigned on 30.10.2012 .
- 2012- 2015: co-founded and led as CEO, Caucasian Nectar Products in the Republic of Georgia with the purpose of planting 300 acres of high density orchards to supply global markets with quality produce ,graded , packed and shipped in Controlled Atmostphere conditions. Implemented the first phase of the project i.e. registration of entity in Georgia, acquisition of land , creating requisite infrastructure to enable plantation , registering protocols to allow import of latest European rootstock ,training local staff, and all other activites ancillary to the said purpose. Also was trained on a USAID funded project to grow Nuts in Georgia by the team leader Dr. Zviad Bobokashvili.
- FOUNDED SPAN IMPEX. (Start up-Sole owner)
- 2015 -in continuum: Implementing a project on turn key basis (including planting, maintaining, managing) Apple and stone fruit, Blueberries and Raspberries orchard in MONGOLIA. This is the first such project in Mongolia. Orchard owned by a Mongolian company and funded by a European Private Equity Fund.
- 2016 (March to December): Started and concluded a research project to shortlist a country in Eastern Europe to setup and integrated orchard of nut crops for a client. Successfully completed the analysis and submitted a report . Project now in the process of establishment of orchard. The project included developing an understanding of the different agro climatic zones within different countries , interaction with research agencies, locating the propagation material with highest suitability for the specific location with irrigation planning and layout.
- 2016 -2017: Detailed survey to shortlist and conclude negotiations to acquire 4000 acres of agricultural land in Romania on behalf of client IBS Synergies Ltd. to start cultivating field crops (corn and soyabean) in 2018 as a backward integration to set up a poultry project in Romania.